Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Trip to the Eye Doctor

On October 20, 2009, Leanne Nieforth took me with her to the eye doctor. Leanne was having difficulty with her contact being comfortable in her eye; she felt her vision was blurry, so went to the office. Leanne turned out to have Keratitis, a corneal inflammation, from contact lenses overuse. She was put on an antibiotic-steroid combination to prevent a bacterial infection and reduce the inflammation. From this I learned about the importance of taking care of your contacts. If she had let this issue go, she could have had a serious infection.


Because her mother is her eye doctor, I got to tour the entire office from top to bottom and get my picture taken with very neat equipment!

In the first photo,

I am sitting in the equipment. The center black object with dials is called a phoropter, used for checking spectacle prescriptions. To the right is the slit lamp. This is used to look at the front surface of the eye, like the cornea. To the left is the Keratometer, it is used to measure the surface of the cornea.

In the second photo, Leanne is holding me in front of a diagram of the eye and astigmatism. On the left side is the projector. The projector is used to put the measured eye chart on the screen at the other end of the room. From these measured letters, visual acuity is checked.

I had soooooo much fun at the eye doctor's! I can't wait to go again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home